Sunday, February 21, 2010

Say Something Sunday

My plan on this blog is to write about things I do, things I like, things I love, people I adore, things that make me tick, peep, squak and flap my wings.

On Sundays I will be posting "Say Something Sunday" which will be a weekly post where I will tell you things that you may or may not want to know, or may or may not be interested in, but they are things that I would like to share. :)

So....For my first "Say Something Sunday" I will tell you about my views on vegetarianism. I have been a strict vegetarian for over 16 years. I had decided when I was 14 yrs old that eating meat was something that I refused to do. It was something that I had started thinking about when I was a little kid. I used to love checking out books from my elementary school library and I checked out "What's Inside An Egg" numerous times. The book rocked my world...I never knew that CHICKENS lived inside of eggs...Eggs were full of baby chickens!" I'm sure that I knew that already on some level but the book nailed it all home and it was shocking.
When I was 14 and told my mom that I wanted to become a veggie, she said that I could once I read a book on how to be a teenager and still be healthy as a vegetarian. I read "A Teen's Guide To Going Vegetarian" and shared the info that I learned from the book with my mom. She then cooked meat-free, protein rich foods for our dinners every night.
Since becoming a vegetarian, I strongly believe in my decision for numerous reasons. One of which is that I believe that I make less of an impact on our environment (and there is research to prove this) and I also believe that I am not causing pain or discomfort on any living being in the world around me.

Leaving you with something to think about:
A vegetarian driving a hummer is better for the environment than a meat-eater on a bicycle.
Interesting, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment